The text and paintings on The Trowbridge Chronicles are taken from the illustrated journal of Violet Trowbridge, a shrew that once lived in a village deep in the Olympic Rain Forest. Each new post will represent a portion of Mrs. Trowbridge’s journal.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

EVENING PRIMROSE DOWN MATTRESS


This page from Mrs. Trowbridge's journal includes a touch of romance. I was a bit surprised when I first read it. Shrews and pink nighties? Somehow I just can't put the two together. But I'm not a shrew, so what do I know?


Mrs. T liked to paint flowers on the vases in her cottage. Painting flowers seemed to send her into great heights of joy. I put this page under my magnifying glass and identified the flower on the night stand pitcher as an orange honeysuckle. That's a monkey flower on the large vase behind the bed. I wish you could better see the small details.


She usually did a tight pencil drawing, then painted a watercolor wash on top of it. But sometimes she would let her pencil drawing stand alone, as you see in the drawing of her bedroom above.


If you would like to see my other illustration blog, where you'll see my work, not Mrs. Trowbridge's, go to bronsmithart.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Cindy D. said...

I'm not sure Mrs. Trowbridge intended for strangers to read this page, so I'm feeling a little guilty. The drawing is really beautiful, particularly the detailed, tidy bedroom.

Creations By Mit said...

Such a quaint & cozy little room!!! My hamster would appreciate that "Nest Sweet Nest" picture...if she could read.... Looking forward, as always, to the next installation of the Trowbridge Chronicles!

mattress protector said...

Excellent post. This post shows that writing is an art. Hats off to the writer. This blog is also very informative and useful for me.