The text and paintings on The Trowbridge Chronicles are taken from the illustrated journal of Violet Trowbridge, a shrew that once lived in a village deep in the Olympic Rain Forest. Each new post will represent a portion of Mrs. Trowbridge’s journal.

Friday, July 25, 2008

SHELF FUNGUS DWELLINGS

Our recent trip into Huckleberry Hollow was indeed memorable. For one thing, we afforded ourselves the luxury of packing in meat...a treat for any weary hiker, to be sure. There's nothing like the smell of wild Alaska salmon cooking in the wilderness, even if it's canned.

We also encountered many fine examples of shelf fungus (Basidiomycola). They were used extensively by the shrews and other small creatures in the rain forest as dwellings, and were the equivalent of an expensive high-rise condo by our standards. Mrs. Trowbridge mentioned them occasionally in her journal, and I did manage to find a color sketch that she drew of her brother-in-law's new shelf fungus condo. Below is one that I photographed on the trip to share with you.

8 comments:

INDIGENE said...

I love the text and the illustration, the photo is awesome! Great work!

www.indigeneartforms.blogspot.com

Kim de Young said...

I love love love when you paint Trowbridge and then show a photo, fantastic!
Sorry about the Flake in Grants Pass (Psst not everyone in GP is a flake ;)

studio lolo said...

I always find myself wanting to crawl into your magical dwellings! At first glance I thought the ladder was a bit of spiral showing from Violet's sketchbook until I enlarged it. (old eyes!)
Wonderful to see you and Mrs. T again :)

valerie walsh said...

When can i move in? Love this Bron and hope you are having a nice summer :)

tusen said...

I love this idea :)

Ginger*:) said...

Thank you for sharing your Return to Huckleberry Hollow. To see what motivates that wonderful imagination of yours is a real treat. Barkley certainly has it made in his high rise. I love the tiny ladder!

lil kim said...

what a beautiful idea. it looks like they are floating on green fungus clouds. and your writing is just *perfect*!

Kay Aker said...

I sure wish I could live there! How beguilingly charming! Thanks so much for sharing!