The text and paintings on The Trowbridge Chronicles are taken from the illustrated journal of Violet Trowbridge, a shrew that once lived in a village deep in the Olympic Rain Forest. Each new post will represent a portion of Mrs. Trowbridge’s journal.

Friday, August 18, 2006

A PERFECT MATCH

"Phinneas is the most fastidious mole I've ever met!" Mrs. Trowbridge has said more than once in her journal pages. Even to soak in the rays he wears his dapper thistledown shorts, by Fungus and Pitch. "His fireweed tweed trousers are always a perfect color match with his fresh- pressed saxifrage shirts," Mrs. T once commented. Who knew that moles could have taste.

Phinneas and his Townsend Mole friends are commonly seen in the rain forest...and coming to a yard near you if you live in Washington or Oregon. He's America's largest mole.

If you haven't ever stroked a mole's fur, you've really missed something. It's slate black and softer than velvet. I know from whence I speak...we have an heirloom mole pelt in our elegantly appointed living room. A hundred years ago mole fur coats were all the rage. Now they're as scarce as toads' teeth.

19 comments:

° said...

lov the last line and i learned trhat some mole have good taste when it comes to dressing to the nines
good stuff

Amy Zaleski said...

Agree with Michael, the last line really got me. What a handsome mole Phinneas is. Great names for these characters!

Amy Zaleski said...

PS I have to thank you also for not having me type a bunch of letters just to leave a comment. I know why folks have that feature turned on, but it's nice be able to just leave a comment. :-0

harmoniousjosh said...

The funny thing is, I have a toad's tooth pelt. What are the odds?

luisa brehm said...

poor little mole ... it's so cool and tender ... tooth pelt ???
i missed you ;-))))

Unknown said...

This is lovely!

Anonymous said...

i too, enjoy studying (carefully) your drawings and this makes no exception...great mastery and humouros writing!

Ginger*:) said...

I saved our only mole last year. He tried to take a swim in our pool and nearly drowned. Once I had him out and dried him off a bit, he thanked me by digging up my lawn in about 10 different places. Yet it was still a gift.... the mounds of soil that he placed across our lawn were soft as sand and the very best for planting new seedlings. I harvested the soil and realized his gift was meant with the sweetest thanks. Bron, you stories and illustrations are magical. Magic in the execution and magic in what it brings to the viewer and reader.

Susan Mitchell said...

So cute! You give your characters so much personality - lovely :)

Geninne said...

I agree with everyone here....your stories and characters are so touching. I just love your work...and the Chronicles are my faves.

Bill Z said...

lovely page. very sweet and it looks great

Anonymous said...

Bron Many years ago I had the opportunity to feel a moles fir! You are right, it is the softest thing I have ever felt! So silky!!

Phinneas the mole is just adorable!

Sherry

Unknown said...

Wonderful as always! Love reading your stories.
I have moles in my garden also and I just let them be.
i often see them scampering into the ground

Kim de Young said...

I was surprised to learn how many snakes live nearby, and it must have been hard to count the polywogs, they must have had to get a count from the frog's head of house-hold. I would love to scratch Phinneas' belly, but that would probably be undignified.

Kay Aker said...

Gives me a renewed appreciation for moles. Your sensitive drawing does have a velvety soft look to it.

Anonymous said...

Bron! it's been a while since I last visited the cronicles ans it has been a joy to catch up on all the adventures...
Oh and your right, moles are the very softest of creatures.

Roz Foster said...

Oh, I am *totally* telling Phinneas what Mrs. T said.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://dcxvssh.com]tPfdIjL[/url] , YVRCy - http://hhmgziigpu.com

fararsand said...

We recently partnered up with a dispensary in Nevada, they are formulating specific cannabinoids into wax form, so they can be consumed via dab rigs!